The Scoring School @ FineTunage provides music lessons in Cape Town to aspiring musicians of all ages - learn how to create, from start to finish, your very own music using the latest studio technologies and methods. No prior musical experience is required!
Who are classes for?
- Adults interested in making music, either as a hobby or as a serious pursuit. We offer lessons after hours as well!
- Teenagers who may have become stuck and are stagnating in their regular music lessons. Provide them with a fresh challenge - most absolutely love our course on sound design and composition for videogames!
- Younger kids starting music lessons for the first time - they may as well grow up using the wide variety of technologies available to professional musicians nowadays. We currently accept kids from ages 6 and up for lessons.
Lesson material Overview
KEYBOARD/PIANO/MIDI INSTRUMENT TRAINING
- Beginner to advanced technique on keyboard & midi instruments
- Building up a foundation of scales and chords
- Playing counterpoint in real time
- Improvisation based on scales & chords studied
MUSIC THEORY & COMPOSITION
- 4-Part harmony
- Functional harmony
- Extended, non-triadic, polytonal, and microtonal harmony
- Musical structure (getting away from the "dreaded loop")
- Orchestration - composing and arranging for each of the orchestral families of instruments
- Preparing your score for performance / recording
- Introduction to studio technologies
- Setting up your own home studio
- Virtual instruments/synths and how to program them
- Studio microphones & recording live musicians
- EQ, Compression, Reverb, Delay, and other audio tools
- Releasing and distributing your music
DAW & MUSIC TECH
- Cubase 9 training (the very same software Hans Zimmer and his team uses)
- Composing for videogames & film
- Developing adaptive music for videogames
- Developing your template and how to deliver files for projects
- Implementing music into a videogame using audio middleware
Schedule & FEES
- Lessons are 1-on-1 with optional group lessons and workshops on a regular basis.
- If you are a working adult, talk to us about lessons after hours.
- Ideally lessons should be taken weekly, but we can arrange fortnightly lessons as well for those who need to travel far or who have very busy schedules.
- Weekly 30-minute lessons : R150 per lesson (R600 per month)
- Weekly 60-minute lessons : R260 per lesson (R1'040 per month)
- Weekly 120-minute lessons : R480 per lesson (R1'920 per month)
If you'd like to sign up for lessons or have any questions at all, please feel free to drop an email using the form below.
You could also give us a call at 082 863 4558.